Thursday, June 3, 2010

Garage Sale Goodies!!!

I LOVE garage-saling! Maybe it's the thrill of the hunt...likely it's the thrill of getting a bargain. You never know what you are going to find, and it always amazes me what people will sell for next-to-nothing. Getting a great deal can totally make my day!!  I told my 3-1/2 year old that he could have $2 to spend as he pleased. He could spend it, save it...it was up to him. I expected the money to last about 37 seconds, but I was amazed at what he came home with ~ goodies AND change! His items included, we spent exactly $9 for ALL of the above items. Here's a breakdown of what we got:

  •  A whole bag full of Happy Meal-type toys: FREE (My son's preschool has a carnival day each year. For prizes, the kids get to select from boxes full of toys like these and other little goodies they have to buy. They'll be thrilled to get a big bag of prizes for FREE for next year!)
  • Eureka 'the Boss' sick vacuum: $2.50 (this retails for $24.99 new) I've already cleaned my kitchen floor with it and I'm in love!
  • One of Jack's new animals is a Webkins snake: $0.25 (these retail for over $10) other stuffed animal: $0.25
  • Merona puffer vest jacket: $0.25 (looks absolutely new!)
  •  2 pairs of Carters 3-piece jammies sets: $1 each (retail $10 each) and 2 big bibs, $0.25 each

  • Hot Wheels hauler & 5 Hot Wheels cars: $1 (can't find one just like it online, but the closest thing to it retails for $35 new and the cars run $1 each. Incidentally, one of the cars we got with this rig is "vintage" and sells for anywhere from $5 to $20 on Ebay!)
  • Pet bed: $1.50 (looks new. These usually retail for around $10 new)
  • Wood picture frame: $0.50 
  • 2 short sleeved shirts, one is from Banana Republic: $0.75 for both
So, we had a fun day of bargain-hunting and I taught my son a lesson on saving money as well. He started out with $2. He came home with two stuffed animals and a big rig that has kept him busy ALL day long. The best $1 I've ever spent!! Plus, he has $0.50 to save for next time we go garage-saling!

Now, I know some people aren't big on buying other people's cast-offs. I'm telling you~there is nothing wrong with buying something that someone else can no longer use...at a fraction of the original cost. I'm not saying that I'm not disappointed with a purchase now and then. When I got home, I realized that my $0.50 BR shirt will need a little mending--the hem is starting to come out. But, for $0.50, I certainly don't mind threading a needle and fixing it while I watch America's Got Talent one night! There are surely some things I will not buy at a garage sale...some things should only be purchased new. But, if I can throw it in the washing machine (Jack's stuffed animals will be taking a dip before he can play with them, and all the clothes can certainly be washed, as well as the dog bed) or take a Lysol wipe to it (Jack's Hot Wheels hauler was quite dusty but looks perfectly new now!) then it's fair game. And I certainly don't mind scooping it up for pennies on the dollar!! A tad bit of elbow grease is worth it to me!

Oh--and those Happy Meal toys--I just throw things like that in a mesh laundry bag and toss it on the top rack of the dishwasher. Trust me--they come out sparkling clean every time!

Have you come across an awesome find at a garage sale yet this year? Lemme know in the comments!!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment