Saturday, November 14, 2009

Samaritan's Purse: Operation Christmas Child


Have you heard of Operation Christmas Child? Specifically, filling shoe boxes with presents for children around the world whose total life possessions don't amount to our excess. If you're like me, you've heard of this, but never been involved. This year, I'm motivated. Looking around at the excess that couponing has created for me, I'm reminded of not only just how blessed I am, but of how incredibly selfish it would be to not share these blessings with those in need.

Last year, I was able to pack 2 huge boxes full of toiletries, cold medicines, cleaning supplies, and feminine products to take down to a local battered women's shelter. I totaled the value of the included items at over $400!!! For me, it probably cost somewhere around $30 OOP. I know the reason for giving is not to brag about what you are able to give. Please don't think I'm trying to do that. I'm trying to motivate you all to be creative with your bargain shopping to not only spend less on what your family needs, but to stretch your bucks in amazing ways to make a world of difference for others. While I still think I'll pack up those boxes for the women's shelter this year, I also plan to take part in Operation Christmas Child via Samaritan's Purse. And I encourage you to do the same.

I got my general information about the program here. It's amazing what a shoe box full of inexpensive gifts can do for a child who has so little. Visit their site, investigate the process, and how you can help. Then, check out this video MummyDeals has posted on how she was able to pack 45 boxes for only $45 this year. Now, I certainly won't be able to put together 45 boxes this year, but I sure do have plans for next year!!!

As so many of you are new to the couponing world, and even for those of you who are old pros. How about joining me in an effort. For 2010, I plan to keep a large plastic tote in my basement by my other stockpile items for the sole purpose of filling with items worthy of those shoebox presents. By this time next year, I'm guessing that with all the freebies and cheapies and total bargain buys, that tote should be FULL, and ready to fill up 45 (maybe more!!) boxes. Are you with me??? This should be CAKE, people!! Lets use our coupons for some good!!

So you want to get involved this year?? There is still plenty of time! National Collection Week is next week, November 16-23. I was surprised there are several drop-off locations right around me at local churches (my ignorance to this process had me believing for years now that you were responsible for shipping those boxes somewhere. Not the case!). Check out the drop-off locations near you. On the site you will also find tips on how to fill the boxes, what is most needed, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment